The heart of the ‘Baby Think It Over’ is RealCare Baby II, an amazingly realistic infant simulator that offers learning by doing. Baby requires feeding, burping, rocking, and diaper changing on a 24-hour schedule. It offers experiential learning by providing students with experiences that help make informed decisions about parenting. The parenting experience allows students to draw their own conclusions and discover for themselves what the role of parent feels like. It is an authentic task that is very close to real thing.
The Benefits of experiencing parenting with Realcare Baby II:
- The student is able to view parenting in a more realistic way. A teen may have unrealistic and idyllic ideas about babies. A teen may think raising a child is somewhat comparable to seemingly endless responsibility of daily schoolwork. The goal of caring for Baby is for students to consider the needs of a baby and the personal life changes that occur when a child is born.
- The student considers his or her current suitability to be a parent.
- The student may gain greater appreciation for his or her own parent(s).
- Having baby in the home creates an opportunity for parents to communicate family values, the responsibilities of supporting and caring for a child, the situations that can occur when one becomes a parent before educational goals are completed, and their vision of a good parent.
- Using baby can be a relationship builder between parents and their teens. As a temporary “grandparent”, the parent of the student can share stories of what the student was likeas a infant, and the joys anad challenges they had as a parent. Current research tells us that one of the best things a parent can do to ensure their children’s’ success is to have a good relationship with them. Family ties can be strengthened by the experience with Baby.
from Reality Baby Care lessons at Costa
from girl’s group reflection time